Camino de Santiago

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Farewell to Spain

This is my second posting today; the first was up this morning at about 5am Texas-time. I am nearly to the end of my last day in Spain. After almost three months in this country since the end of August, I am moving on without immediate plans to return. There are still towns I´d like to visit--Vitoria, Alicate, Tarragonia, and especially towns in Navarra like Tudela, Olite, Sanguesa--the list goes on. There are towns along the Camino I´d like to return to--some to visit again, some to feel again a place I loved, and some because I missed a thing or two along my tired way last Fall.

Today, I visited the 17th century fort on the hill overlooking the harbor and went to the Picasso museum. The latter followed the artist from his earliest painting at age 8 right through to the end of his life. In the afternoon all I really did was wander the streets, shop, and try to soak in a few last moments of Spanish culture before tomorrow. Early this evening, I mailed 24 pounds worth of travel books, guides, maps, and brochures home and spent the rest of the time walking along the docks. I just needed one last look at the Mediterranean. There were several large cruise ships docked. One was unloading--I didn´t realize that the lower section of these towering ships was filled with busses. The flat stern of the ship was backed up to the dock and bus after bus loaded with tourists was rolling out to hotels around the city. Farther down the dock, a ferry was loading sixteen-wheelers for the trip out to the Spanish islands of Majorica and Minorca. I was ready to stowaway, but another destination entirely awaits me.

Like a condemned man, I figured that I had the right to a last meal, so I went to a fairly expensive restaurant and sprang for the three-course dinner-of-the-day to the tune of 16€. For my first course, I chose the bean soup, Catalan style--a tasty mix of lentils, garbanzo beans, and black beans with pieces of ham. Since it is so near Easter, I felt it only fitting to choose the roasted rabbit for the main course. This browned bunny was served with garlic new potatoes in a clear-brown sauce. Finally, the house speciality for dessert was flan--lightly whipped egg custard with a swirl of caramel on top. I am a happy feller.

Well, it´s 10 o´clock in the evening here, and I should go back to my hotel to do a little laundry. I fly Ryan Air out of Girona Airport at 12:10 for Tees Valley Airport in England. I´m back to my pilgrim ways following in the footsteps of the saints. Durham cathedral in what was once England´s northern kingdom of Northumbria is the final resting place of St. Cuthbert and the Venerable Bede. I plan to walk a little along Cuthbert´s path and to visit the church that served as home to Julian of Norwich. But more on that later--when I find an internet connection in England. Right now, I have to look up at Mt. Tibidabo one final time. Thanks again to all those family and friends who prodded me along with notes on the blog over these many weeks across two semesters in Spain. Some of you will never know how timely and helpful your comments were. G´night and adios.

2 Comments:

At 3/21/2007 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like one could spend a lifetime in Spain & not see all the history. Thank you for taking all of us on your journey.BC

 
At 3/22/2007 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to splurge once in a while, isn't it?! Spain has been good to you (and to us who have followed and seen from afar). I look forward to your (our) travels in England!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home