Camino de Santiago

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Home Thoughts from Abroad

Okay, so I borrowed the title from Mark Twain´s trip through Europe to the Holy Land. This is certainly my most self-indulgent entry to date, but it´s Sunday night and I have an hour or so before the nuns in the convent lock all the pilgrims in and I´m a little homesick. I miss my friends at TCC, and I miss you guys in Duncanville and at TUMC (Dianna forwarded pictures from that last Sunday). I wonder from time to time what Frank would make of some of the things I´ve seen--wish I had you here. I miss hugs from my kids and parents and wifey (I told you this was entirely self-indulgent!), and I miss Texas food.

That´s my subject (such as it is) on this installment of ¨Home Thoughts¨--food. I miss chili and Dianna´s home-made turkey soup. As my good friend John Shumaker knows, I like a hamburger every now and then (whenever I can sneak one from Dianna´s notice). Now, I don´t mean a Whopper or a Big Mac--I mean a big ol´Fudrucker´s hamburger or something like that. Everything in Spain seems to have ham--¨jamon¨--on it, or there´s cheeze, or there´s egg--never beef. Well, you won´t believe it. After exploring the town and looking at the shrine to Saint Dominic, I found a restaurant called ¨Hambergerer and English Pub.¨ The spelling of hamburger was a little suspicious, but I ran excitedly in and asked,¨¿Tenes hamburgers aqui?¨ (¨Do you have hamburgers here?¨ ¨Si!¨was the answer, so I ordered one with a Coke. I could hardly wait. Beef. And Dianna didn´t have to know. What did I get? A long French baguette. When I lifted the top off, I found white cheeze and egg topping two thin, fried pork chops. It was a ham-burger. Sometimes even the food loses a little in the translation.

Take care of each other back home.

3 Comments:

At 9/03/2006 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Jerry, I feel your pain my friend. During our year in England we encountered many interpretations of hometown favorites. The classic was when we were on holiday at a B&B and ordered a banana split or sundae. I can't remember which. ANYWAY - it was a scoop of soft serve with fruit cocktail from a can! UGH!!! Keep the faith – there is no place like home!

 
At 9/03/2006 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jerry, you are doing great. Can't imagine you eating fruit all the time but I guess wonders never cease. Wish I was walking with you. Glad you are our of the mountains. -Jim Lawrence

 
At 11/22/2006 12:52 AM, Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

I am reading this well after the event and I guess you got over your homesickness. I got sick on my last trip for a while and really wanted to be home! But once I got over it the time zoomed by.
I am really enjoying reading your account.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home