Camino de Santiago

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Spanish Reporter

I´m walking along at a little past 11:00am, and what do I find but a working internet in a bodega. My brother, Lloyd, says that I´m his ¨morning cup of coffee,¨ so I decided to give him a report from Spain for his early entertainment.

THE MATINS--very interesting (if you don´t recognize this, read the previous entry). I´m afraid that my flesh, however, was weak. I was supposed to spend the time between midnight and 3:00 reading or in prayful contemplation. I tried reading, but the light was poor, my eyesight was failing, and I was tired from the day´s walk (enough excuses?). So, yes--I fell asleep. I think the brother who had to awaken me before 3:00 was a little irritated, but hey--I recall that Peter, James, and John also fell asleep, and I have nothing like their virtues. Nevertheless, a memorable experience.

SOCKS--yes, the great sock question has been answered. If you recall from one of my first entries, I had been told to buy three different kinds of socks by three different experts. Here is the correct answer: Smart Wool. The silver blend socks do not help reduce odor--after an hour in my boots, they stink. The magical synthetic socks are fine, but they take two days to air dry after washing. One night last week I became frustrated with them and lay them across a lamp shade. Five minutes later, I smelled something burning. Yep--synthetic fibers melt. They had little holes melted in the middle, but--get this--they were STILL WET! I didn´t even give them a funeral--I just threw them in the trash.

HATS--you´ve got to have one to protect from the sun. Lots of walkers have a sort of ball cap with a neck shade attached. Cowboy hats are very popular--especially those straw hats with the broken brims. I, however, wear a Genuine Tilley Hat. When I was looking for headgear, I wanted to buy the cheap, broad-brimmed canvas hat (which would have been destroyed the first week). Kathleen and Jonathan bought me an early birthday present by giving me the Genuine Tilley Hat. It floats; it repels rain; it keeps its shape; it is fully washable; it has a lifetime replacement guarantee. It´s even recognizable--other Genuine Tilley Hat wearers come up to me and ask if I´m from Canada (it´s made there). When I say, ¨No,¨they guess the UK or Australia. We have a club--a conspiracy of knowing that we have the best hat on the trail.

SECOND HAND SMOKE--it seems as though everyone here smokes. There are few ¨smoke free¨ areas, so you just have to submit to it. Some days, after an arduous walk or on a hot day, you walk into a cafe hoping for a cool drink, and a cloud of smoke envelops your face before you can say ¨¡Hola!¨ I´m stting in quite a fog right now; hey, Mark--you could save on ciggs just by taking a deep breath. Well, it´s the culture (and it was, afterall, a gift from the New World).

That´s it for now--I want to get back on the trail. If you didn´t read the entry on Astorga that I made about 14 hours ago, scroll down. In the mean time, good morning, big brother--and ¡Buen Camino!

3 Comments:

At 9/13/2006 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another time perhaps, and thank you, my brother. Much love and miles of smiles.

 
At 9/13/2006 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up you are doing great. Drink lots of water. Sure wish you could put everything on tape so that we could really experience everything your thougts, learn what you are learning and see all your are seeing. See ya in a few weeks. J&C

 
At 9/14/2006 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sweet daughter sent us the travel booklet so we are now getting to see what the terrain looks like & this part of the journey looks tough, but we all like the mountains. I hope the socks you like wearing are doing the trick for your feet. And I do hope you have chocolate for the treck. We love & miss you. L&B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home